Early morning yesterday, on 4 August, a fatal accident involving a lorry claimed the lives of two young men.
The accident occurred along Old Jurong Road, towards Upper Bukit Timah Road, sometime after midnight. No matter how empty the roads may seem in off-peak hours, though, staying sober while driving is an absolutely must for road safety.
Unfortunately for the group of eight that was in the lorry, driving under the influence of alcohol was what led to the accident.
Two Men Pronounced Dead at The Scene
About an hour after midnight when the incident had occured, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was eventually alerted to the scene.
SCDF said that the officers who arrived at the scene had found two persons trapped in the front seat of the lorry. Hydraulic rescue equipment was then deployed in attempts to free them.
Paramedics from the SCDF arrived soon after.
According to The Straits Times, two men, aged 17 and 23, were pronounced dead at the scene. The remaining five passengers and the driver who were between the ages of 15 and 25, were taken to the National University Hospital soon after.
Since then, police have arrested the 25-year-old driver for drink driving and careless driving causing death. Further investigations are currently underway.
Footage of the aftermath was uploaded onto Facebook by the Singapore Roads Accident page.
The severity of the crash could be observed—the lorry’s windshield was cracked, its front bumper had fallen off, and the car’s side doors appear to have been swung off from the impact as well.
Rising Incidence of Injuries and Deaths due to Road Accidents
Just last month, on 4 June, a 39-year-old man was arrested for drink driving after accident on Nicoll Highway that injured three cyclists.
Last year, reports from the SPF showed that the number of accidents with injuries or deaths on the road rose to 4,552 from 2,998 between June and September.
The three leading causes for this trend as stated by the local authorities is drink driving, running the red light at traffic junctions, and speeding.
- 24 Death Row Inmates Who Tried to Sue the Government Had Their Case Thrown Out By Apex Court
- NDP Organisers Slammed for Looking for Free Buskers to Perform At Heartlands Fireworks Sites
- Japan Protesting After China’s Missiles Land on Their Exclusive Economic Zone
- First Million-Dollar HDB Flats Were Sold in Bukit Batok & Marine Parade
Featured Image: Facebook (Singapore Roads Accident.com)
- Now That The Budget 2024 Statement is Out, Here’s What to Expect in the Next Few Weeks
- S’pore Address Rumours That We Pay Millions So Taylor Swift Won’t Perform in Other Southeast Asia Countries for Her Tour
- Chinese Actress Came Back from Vacation to Her House Burglarised With All Valuables Gone
- Everything About the Changes in CPF That Were Mentioned During Budget 2024
- Aide Dismisses Claims That M’sia Ex-PM Mahathir is in Critical Condition
- You Can’t Take Chickens from The Road to Cook It; NParks Now Investigating Man Who Caught Wild Chicken at Pasir Ris
- ECDA Completed Assessment of Kinderland Saga; Licence Tenures Limit in 2 Centres to Continue