Gong xi fa cai, hong bao na lai (Wishing you a prosperous Lunar New Year, give me a red packet).
We look forward to the money inside the prosperous red packets every Lunar New Year. We would compare how much each aunty and uncle give to us.
However, we usually keep mum about the amount, especially if it comes from our significant other’s parents.
One Redditor’s girlfriend was dissatisfied that she only received $10 from her boyfriend’s parents. He took her displeasure to Reddit and voiced his frustration about her entitlement for everyone to see.
Girlfriend Unhappy with $10 Red Packet from Boyfriend’s Parents
Posting to Subreddit r/askSingapore, the Redditor lamented that his girlfriend was unhappy about receiving $10 from his parents.
The Redditor is from Malaysia, and his parents live in Johor Bahru. His parents’ standard practice was gifting $10 to their relatives, even to the Redditor himself and his siblings.
However, to the girlfriend, the $10 red packet she received was abysmal, as it was the lowest she had received from all her relatives in Singapore. She was also upset that the notes were not new.
In addition, she thinks there should be a standard rate for Lunar New Year red packets, similar to those given at weddings.
The Redditor was upset as he believed that red packets were a gesture of goodwill and were only meant to be blessings from the elderly.
Furthermore, he added that his parents were retired and had no income.
Upon hearing these explanations from him, the girlfriend was enraged for “brushing aside her feelings” and “being defensive” of his parents.
She even picked her battles, poking how it would be “inappropriate” if he only packed RM10 or RM50 for the red packets for his parents.
The Singaporean girlfriend must have seen one too many Red Packet rate guides pumped out on the internet and expects life to be the same.
The Redditor has since deleted his post after it started gaining traction. However, the internet is forever. You can read his full post over here.
Redditors’ Response to Original Poster’s Girlfriend
Redditors were outraged about the girlfriend’s reactions to the red packet. They believed that red packets are symbolic gestures and should be affordable for the person gifting them.
They called out the original poster’s girlfriend for being calculative about the red packet she received.
Some Redditors, however, chalked her behaviour down to her family culture. It might be possible that she might be brought up in a different culture. Her family might expect a return on investments regarding red packets.
Redditors also cautioned that he should talk things through with his girlfriend, or else the relationship would be on the rocks regarding future financial issues.
Often, we forget that it is the thought that counts when it comes to the amount inside.
Hopefully, this is not the last Lunar New Year gathering she’ll attend as his plus one.
- Man Allegedly Threw 2 Cats Down HDB Blocks, Trapped 2 Cats in Plastic Bags & Stomped a Cat’s Neck
- Everything to Know About the Winners of the Hong Bao Draw 2023
- Elderly Died After Man Confronted Him for Smoking at Void Deck
- S’pore Influencer Kiaraakitty Selling Her Farts in a Jar for About $30
- Man Who Sued Woman for “Friendzoning” Him Now Got Sued by Woman As Well
Featured Image: Adisorn Saovadee / Shutterstock.com
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Woman Got Scammed from a Person She Knew from Coffee Meets Bagel
- Power Outage at JB Checkpoint Caused Long Queues on Wednesday Morning
- Everything About the December BTO Launches That Include 2 PLH Estates
- Around 50 People Found to be Lying in Their Work Pass Applications Every Year
- In 2024, We Might Be Able to See Northern Lights in Countries Like China, Japan and the US As Well
- Confirmed: S’poreans Do Not Need to Submit Digital Arrival Cards When Commuting to Malaysia