I don’t know if it’s the weather or the weather? It must be the crazy weather in Singapore.
Recently when I was charging my iPhone, my phone gets extremely hot I can almost fry an egg on it.
I’m not kidding.
But maybe cause I left it to charge overnight?
But it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electronics or anything that you can run electricity through it.
Because you don’t want it to explode due to it being overheated right?
That’s exactly what happened to a power bank.
It was reported that the overheated power bank set the car on fire in Malaysia.
As claimed by a witness at the scene, he was passing by the parking lot when he saw thick smoke billowing from a car.
He then saw a power bank on the front passenger seat on fire.
With the help of several other passers-by, they managed to put out the fire by splashing water through a small opening of the window.
The cause of the fire is still undergoing investigations.
There are also several incidents involving batteries and fire in Singapore.
In July this year, an electric scooter left to charge overnight in Choa Chu Kang sparked a fire, with three people fleeing the unit.
And 2 months later, an electric scooter caught fire along Sommerville Road, with sparks from the flame shooting two storeys high.
The most recent one being an electric bicycle (which was left to charge overnight) sparking a fire outside a Bukit Batok flat on 12 October.
The number of fires caused by e-bikes is increasing
Last year, 17 fires were caused by electrical bicycles, up from 14 in 2015. There were 14 fires involving personal mobility devices (PMDs), a significant increase from just one case the previous year.
SCDF thus gave the following fire safety tips on the prevention of battery fires involving PMDs:
- Avoid overcharging the battery, especially leaving it to charge overnight.
Guilty as charged. In fact, don’t charge anything overnight. Turn off power supplies when not in use. This does not apply only to bicycles.
- When charging such batteries, place them on hard flat surfaces to allow optimal dissipation of heat.
The floor is relatively cold, though I can’t say that as of now since Singapore is experiencing a burning hot sensation this season.
- Do not place the charging battery near combustible materials.
This includes wood and paper. If you have a wooden flooring at home… I don’t know how else to make you feel better.
And since we’re on the topic of not leaving appliances charged overnight, I just recalled something that we always leave on… actually, we don’t even turn it off.
Anyone wants to make guesses?
It’s the WIFI router. Office, home or wherever… it’s always on, right?
Maybe it’s time to switch it off? Or once in a while? You never know it might decide to join the fire gang soon?
#Choy but you never know. #JustSaying
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
This article was first published on goodyfeed.com
- E-bike Exploded in an HDB & Injured 4 People, Including a Baby
- Everything You Need To Know About The Fire in McDonald’s At Bedok North
Do you love writing? Do you want a platform to showcase your works? Goody Feed is looking for part-time writers to join the team! Click here to find out more!
Featured image: nst.com.my
- NUS Study Shows Parents Who Has More Self-Control & Less Financial Stress Have Children Who are Stronger Mentally
- Wendy’s Cancelled Surge Pricing Plan; Here’s What It Is & Why It Could Really Happen
- Guide to How to Change from Your SimplyGo Cards to the Old EZ-Link Cards
- Everyone is Talking About CPF Special Account. Here’s What It Is.
- Lawrence Wong: No Further Need for GST Hike Up to 2030
- Singapore’s Total Fertility Rate Hits Record Low, Falling Below 1 for the First Time
- Why Hotel Rates in Johor is Set to Increase from 1 March 2024