While we usually exercise to keep ourselves healthy, it might, unfortunately, land us in a completely opposite situation sometimes.
Just yesterday (19 March), a 50-year-old man, Lim Boon Huat, passed away after collapsing at the Singapore Athletics’ (SA) All Comers Meet 2.
He was one of four participants who were participating in the 5,000m walk event and collapsed before finishing his first kilometre of the walk.
The other participants were all 18 years old.
After he fell to the ground, the first aiders who were present at the Home of Athletics in Kallang, where the event was being held, immediately provided the man with medical assistance.
Paramedics also reached the scene shortly afterwards and escorted the man to Tan Tock Seng Hospital. The man passed on after reaching the hospital.
According to The Straits Times, other athletes present at the stadium witnessed medics springing into action, but most were unclear about what exactly had happened.
Singapore Athletes’ Statement
In response to the tragic incident, SA said that the organisation, as well as the athletics community in Singapore, are “deeply saddened” by the incident.
SA also assured that it would “be doing [their] best to assist the family during this difficult time”.
“We offer our condolences to the family and we seek everyone’s understanding to give the family sufficient space and privacy during this period,” SA mentioned.
“The athlete was attended to immediately by on-site medics trained in the use of CPR and AED, with an SCDF ambulance arriving soon after, which conveyed him to hospital.
“SA takes the well-being of our athletes and officials seriously, and will continue to review our procedures to ensure their safety,” the organisation concluded.
- Man Threatened to Release His Married Lover’s Sex Video as She Refused to Celebrate His Birthday With Him
- Russia Astronauts Enter Space Station in Familiar Yellow-and-Blue Flight Suits
- Researchers Found Shark DNA in More Than 30% of Pet Food Sold in S’pore
- KFC’s Durian Mochi That’s Made With D24 is Back
- Woman in China Queues for 2 Hours for a COVID-19 Test Only to Realise She Was in a Queue for Roast Chicken
Featured Image: Eddie Eddie / Google Maps
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Woman Got Scammed from a Person She Knew from Coffee Meets Bagel
- Power Outage at JB Checkpoint Caused Long Queues on Wednesday Morning
- Everything About the December BTO Launches That Include 2 PLH Estates
- Around 50 People Found to be Lying in Their Work Pass Applications Every Year
- In 2024, We Might Be Able to See Northern Lights in Countries Like China, Japan and the US As Well
- Confirmed: S’poreans Do Not Need to Submit Digital Arrival Cards When Commuting to Malaysia