Everything You Need To Know About The Taxi That Caught Fire in KPE Tunnel Last Night


Breaking news. Just yesterday evening, 29 August, a Trans-Cab taxi caught fire and exploded on the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE).

The tunnel was filled with smoke as a result.

According to the SCDF, they were alerted to the fire in the KPE tunnel towards the Tampines Expressway (TPE) and before the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) exit at around 7 pm.

One fire engine and one support vehicle were deployed to the scene.

But the fire, which involved the engine compartment of a taxi, was put out by two members of the public using a hose reel before SCDF arrived.

Hmm. Reminds me of how the police always arrive after everything is solved. Ahem. In the movies, I mean.

So, what exactly happened?

In all honesty, nothing was revealed. However, we are let in on a few happenings of the accident.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) tweeted at 7.20pm.

Image: todayonline.com

Motorists were advised to steer clear of lane 4 due to this accident.

An emergency announcement by LTA was broadcast.

I thereby quote, “This is an LTA emergency announcement. Drive out of the tunnel now via the nearest exit. If unable to, turn off your engine and walk to the nearest emergency exit with a bluish-white flashing light.”


In short, drivers were asked to vacate and head towards the nearest exit.

No reported injuries.

Thank God, the taxi driver escaped unhurt and no one was hurt as a result of this.

Some claims from witnesses:

Miss Doreen Lim, 52, who was in a taxi heading to Sengkang at about 7.25pm mentioned that there were “a lot of smoke” but she couldn’t see what was on fire.

Her cab managed to escape the tunnel via the Upper Paya Lebar exit.

While housewife Miss Ong Soh Ching told The Straits Times that she entered the Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE) at about 7.30pm and “there was already a sign that said there was an accident after Fort Road”.

However, she further adds that there was no warning to deter cars from entering the tunnel.

This accident makes it the fourth of such accident involving the transport company since the start of the year.

The first case was a Trans-Cab taxi that caught fire and exploded near Buona Vista MRT after getting into an accident.

The second incident involved a Trans-Cab taxi catching fire along Marymount Road near Sin Ming Avenue.

The last reported incident was at Moulmein Road near the slip road for the Central Expressway towards Seletar Expressway. A Trans-Cab taxi caught fire at the location on 21 June.

Investigations are ongoing.


Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!

Click Here to Download the App!

Do you love writing? Do you want a platform to showcase your works? Goody Feed is looking for part-time writers to join the team! Click here to find out more!

Read Also:

Feature Image: straitstimes.com

This article was first published on goodyfeed.com