Bubble tea has played a huge role in many Singaporean’s lives, and among the major brands in Singapore, Gong Cha has become one of the more sought-after bubble tea establishments in Singapore. However, just today, news broke out that Gong Cha is going to be renamed as LiHo, and that the changes will be in place by June this year.
So, you must be wondering – why the sudden change of name and why the name Li Ho?
Well, here’s what you need to know.
1. The owner was ‘betrayed’ per say
Mr Rodney Tang, the found of RTG holdings which Gong Cha is under, was ‘surprised’ with a huge change in the business strategy by Gong Cha’s parent company in Taiwan. The parent company, Royal Tea Taiwan, was sold to Gong Cha Korea without Mr Tang’s notice.
2. He wanted to strike it out on his own
The change in management also led to the new terms being more restrictive – with terms and conditions which affected his ability to manage the other brands under RTG holdings. This motivated Mr Tang to strike it out and create his very own home brand further.
3. Why the name ‘Li Ho’?
Li Ho, which means “How are you” in Hokkien, aims to establish the drink store as a Singaporean brand.
4. There’s going to be quite a number of changes
From changing the suppliers of the tea and raw ingredients used to the preparation methods, Li Ho is going to undergo quite a number of changes in its latest rebranding efforts. This would also mean a change of logo and menu.
5. But not all changes are bad!
However, in other to keep up with the competitive market, Li Ho will also be introducing cheese teas and smoothies. Wah, interesting much!
6. The staff were initially uneasy about the changes
Granted, Mr Tang shared that his staff were initially unhappy and felt uneasy about the ideas. However, after persuading them, they’re now ‘fighting’ with him in his new re-branding battle.
7. He has hopes of taking the brand global
With over 80 stores in Singapore, Mr Tang has plans to take the Li Ho brand global to countries like Hong Kong, Korea, mainland China and maybe even the United States and Canada.
8. He is very excited about what’s to come
Even though the road ahead might be filled with doubts and obstacles, Mr Tang is still very excited about what’s yet to come. According to his interview with The Straits Times, he said, “And at least for the first time in many years, I am excited about having something to achieve. I am confident that we have a chance to succeed in this space.”
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
This article was first published on Goodyfeed.com
Featured Image: jcube.com.sg & foodinsing.com
- 6 Interesting Facts About Gong Cha You Probably Didn’t Know of
- 9 Types Of Koi / Gong Cha Drinkers in Singapore and Malaysia
Join our Telegram channel and you won't miss out on the most popular articles: https://t.me/goodyfeedsg
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Another S’pore Influencer Allegedly Got into Shotgun Marriage
- PMD Rider Confronts Couple For Allegedly Staring At Him When He Rode PMD On Footpath
- S’pore Man Allegedly Lost Phone In Taxi & Had $4,000 Stolen From GrabPay
- 54YO Record Shop In Chinatown Complex Center Forced To Close Down By End Nov 2019
- Driver Who Took Video Of PM Lee’s Son Fined & Disqualified From Driving
- #FastFoodFriday: Subway Breaded Chicken Cutlet: It’s Still Subway