Aside from all the festivals and holidays, the other time when brands are always trying to outdo one another is April’s Fool. Google is usually good with jokes and pranks, however, this year the joke was on Google.
Users of Gmail woke up on 1st April to find that an additional ‘send + mic drop’ button was available in their email. Here’s what Google wrote on its blog: “Like those heated threads at work, when everyone’s wrong except you (obviously). Or those times when someone’s seeking group approval, but your opinion is the only one that matters (amirite?). Or maybe you just nailed it, and there’s nothing more to say (bam).”
None the wiser, many Gmail users have clicked on it to realise that a mic-dropping Minion GIF would be attached to their email. If you don’t already know what mic drop means, it represents that a person is done with the conversation and has the definitive last say.
Your recipients will receive the email but that’s about the last you’ll hear of it. Any replies that come after that will automatically be archived and not be sent to your Inbox (you’ll only be able to read it under all mail).
The seemingly harmless joke drew backlashes fast, with many Gmail users complaining that they’ve sent the inappropriate emails to business correspondences. Others have said that it costed them employment opportunities while some have unknowingly sent it in sombre emails such as funeral arrangements.
To make matters worst, there was a bug that attached the GIF even when users clicked on the normal send button. Google was forced to pull the plug on the feature shortly after and released an apology statement: “Well, it looks like we pranked ourselves this year. ? Due to a bug, the Mic Drop feature inadvertently caused more headaches than laughs. We’re truly sorry. The feature has been turned off.”
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- 10 Facts About Crash Landing On You, The 2nd Descendants of the Sun That Everyone's Talking About
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- MOH Uses Some High-Tech Testing & Found Out There’s a Link Between the 2 Church Clusters
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- 5 Facts About NCID Singapore (National Centre for Infectious Diseases), The Place Many People Haven’t Heard of Before COVID-19 Outbreak
- 6 Hidden Gems in Yishun That Even Yishunites Might Not Know About