Last Updated on 2022-08-09 , 8:26 am
Whether it’s finding out that your favourite show just got cancelled, or leaving a country knowing you’ll probably never go back again for fear of China’s military taking you out, goodbyes are never easy.
This time, Hi-Chew’s green apple flavour lovers have to bid farewell to their beloved chewy sweet.
40 Years of Delivering Sweet Chewy Tastiness
We don’t really know what’s in them, or how much sugar is packed into one, but these deliciously chewy sweets has had many of us hooked since primary school.
They come in a variety of flavours, such as Cola, Grape, and Strawberry.
The sweet was invented in Japan by Taichiro Morinaga, who wanted to make a chewing-gum-like sweet that did not require its consumer to spit it out afterwards, since it was considered impolite to do so in Japan. In 1930, he created the sweet and the brand Morinaga was born.
About 50 years later, in 1982, it introduced the green apple flavour.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
It contains real fruit juices and purees, as with its fruity counterparts.
After 40 years of being on supermarket shelves, Sora News reported that the Japanese confectioner announced it will be retiring the Green Apple flavour and stopping production of its 12-piece packs by the end of August 2022.
A Tearful, Cartoony Farewell
The Japanese brand decided to break the difficult news to its Japanese fans via an animated video, starring the now-discontinued apple flavour and a strawberry flavoured pack.
A translation of their conversation is as follows:
Green Apple: “Strawberry, the truth is, I’ve gone out of production.”
Strawberry: “What? Really?”
Green Apple: “Yeah. Thank you, for everything you ever did for me.”
Strawberry: “What are you saying? It’s not like you to come right out and say it like that. I’ll miss you so much.”
Green Apple: “Strawberry…”
Strawberry: “I’m sorry, I can’t…”
Green Apple: “Strawberry!”
Feeling emotional? Hold off from the tissues just yet. As it turns out, the strawberry pack wasn’t too devastated by the loss as seen from what it thought was its “inner monologue” that followed.
Strawberry: “Ahh, it’s just Green Apple that’s getting retired. Good. Hahaha!”
Green Apple: “Umm…I can hear you.”
Although Hi-Chew’s Green Apple flavoured sweet will longer be available for purchase in the 12-piece pack form, Sora News reported that it will still be included in assorted flavour packs.
As of now, you can still get the Green Apple packs at places like Cold Storage or Giant.
- 10 F&B National Day Deals in S’pore That Kiasu S’poreans Shouldn’t Miss
- All 9 Kueh Manufacturers That Were Wrongfully Suspended Can Now Operate Again
- Housewife Rushed into Burning HDB Flat to Save Blind Husband
- Warner Bros Decides Not To Release “Batgirl” Even Though Filming Has Completed
Featured Image: Youtube (Morinaga)
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee