Last Updated on 2022-12-15 , 5:10 pm
Kim Seok-jin, better known as Jin from the South Korean boy band BTS, will start his military training from 13 Dec onwards.
And he will be deployed near North Korea.
Here’s what you need to know.
Leaving Behind their BTS Army, To Go To Army
Jin, 30, is the first member to enlist.
[공지] 방탄소년단 병역 이행 및 향후 활동 계획 안내 (+ENG/JPN/CHN) pic.twitter.com/jntF90agO4
— BIGHIT MUSIC (@BIGHIT_MUSIC) October 17, 2022
Under South Korean law, all able-bodied South Korean men between 18 and 28 must serve in the military for about two years.
But Jin is 30 years old—how does it make any sense that he’s only serving his military service now?
Well, it turns out that in 2020, the South Korean government passed a bill allowing globally recognised K-pop artistes to postpone their enlistment age to 30.
BTS, boasting almost 70 million on Instagram, naturally got to postpone their enlistment to 30 years old.
Now, their time has come.
The band’s fanbase, ironically called “BTS Army”, was shattered upon hearing the news of their idols’ future enlistment. Many took to social media to air their devastation.
BTS’s Jin Deployed To A Frontline Boot Camp
To make things worse for the fans, Jin is reportedly serving his military service in Yeoncheon, a town near the tense border with North Korea.
Yeoncheon sits on the Korail railroad line linking Seoul, South Korea and North Korea. Over there, Jin will undergo five weeks of basic military training, including rifle shooting, grenade-throwing and marching practices.
Some fans were also concerned that their idol would be deployed to a “risky” frontline unit.
Well, he won’t be the first.
The Descendants of the Sun star, Song Joong-ki, conducted reconnaissance missions along the Korean demilitarised zone when he enlisted for his mandatory military service in 2013.
View this post on Instagram
Gong Ji-cheol, better known as Gong Yoo, also did active frontline duty at the South Korean border.
The Train to Busan heartthrob served at Cheorwon, a county right next to North Korea’s border.
View this post on Instagram
We guess Jin will just be following in the footsteps of his other fellow South Korean idols.
Buzzed Haircut “Cuter” Than Expected
On Monday (12 Dec), Jin posted a picture of himself with a buzzed haircut, or the NS haircut as we know it, on the South Korean social media platform Weverse.
He was dressed in a plain black tee and wrote that the haircut was “cuter” than he thought.
Of course, his fans have since circulated the photo around on social media.
[221211 Jin Weverse Post]
🐹 kekekekekeke cuter than what i thought pic.twitter.com/3h9kxk88HH
— 미니융⁷ 🧸 (@miiniyoongs) December 11, 2022
If I got a dollar for each time I’ve seen the photo in just the past 24 hours…
Once all the members of BTS finish adding “Soldier” to their resumes, the boy band is expected to return in 2025.
#BTS see Jin off for his military service & #SafeFlightOurAstronaut trends at #1 worldwide for hours with #UntilWeMeetAgainJin at #2!👑💜
“All members of BTS accompanied Jin to the boot camp to see him off” – #BigHit
“Two years may be long, but it has nothing on eternity” – #JIN pic.twitter.com/qtvaPmRnQJ
— World Music Awards (@WORLDMUSICAWARD) December 13, 2022
- SCDF Officers Braved the Heavy Rain to Send Off Firefighter Edward H. Go
- Hong Kong May Completely Reopen Soon as China Removes Zero-COVID Policy
- FDW Caught Stealing Employer’s ATM Card After Spending Lavishly on Clothes & Jewelry
- Prices of Seafood Set to Increase as CNY Approaches
- Popular US Bakery, Cinnabon, Coming to Singapore in Feb 2023
Featured Image: Weverse (Jin) + Instagram (@jin)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- It Turns Out That Google’s Impressive Gemini AI Video Demo is “Fake”
- 69YO Man Dies After His PMA Collided With a Motorcycle in Jurong West
- Man Who’s Caught Force-Opening MRT Doors Charged; Had Also Kicked Someone Before
- Serangoon Coffeeshop Reportedly Going to be Sold for a Whopping $40.5 Million
- Tabby Cat Went Viral After “Finishing First” in China Half Marathon
- Sa Sa is Back in Singapore, With Its First Store in Jurong Point & More to Come
- New Facebook Scam Alert: Cheap “Suitcases from SIA” Are Fake