Taking leave off work is perhaps a bliss for many.
But for the Prime Minister, leave doesn’t come often and the position can’t be left without a seat-holder for long.
This is why we will be seeing an Acting Prime Minister this week.
DPM will be Acting Prime Minister
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will be going on leave this week from Monday (13 June) to Sunday (19 June).
While he is away, Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong will be Acting Prime Minister, the Prime Minister’s Office announced on Sunday (June 12).
Now, if the name doesn’t already suggest it, Mr Wong will be taking charge of matters in place of PM Lee, essentially widening his job scope.
PM Lee Taking Restful Leave
Previously, when PM Lee had gone on leave last year, no acting prime minister was appointed as he would remain contactable. However, this time, PM Lee has decided to take an actual leave.
In a Facebook post on Sunday evening, PM Lee said he will spend his leave in Singapore. He plans to use the time to read and explore the country.
“I plan to catch up on my reading and go for the occasional #jalanjalan. Will update should I come across anything interesting,” he wrote.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/
Next Prime Minister
Last Monday, Mr Wong, who is also Finance Minister, was appointed to the position of Deputy Prime Minister as part of changes to the Cabinet.
It was also announced then that he would be Acting Prime Minister in the absence of PM Lee.
In April, Mr Wong was selected as the leader of the People’s Action Party’s fourth-generation leadership by his peers, paving the way for him to be Singapore’s next prime minister.
Previously, Mr Heng Swee Keat had held the position of 4G leader but stepped down in April last year.
At present, both Mr Heng and Mr Wong are deputy prime ministers.
Many eyes will be set on Mr Wong as he takes up the role of Acting Prime Minister for a week as he is well on his way to becoming the next prime minister.
- FDW Jailed After Stealing from Employer & Pawning The Items
- KTM Train Services Between Woodlands & JB Will Resume from 19 June 2022
- From 13 June, Walk-In to ICA Will be Restricted Due to Surge in Passport Applications
- Here’s a List of Pasar Malams That Are Happening Between June to August 2022
- 10 Facts About Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, a Condition That Justin Bieber Suffers From
Featured Image: Facebook (Lawrence Wong)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Revisiting the Cat Ban in Singapore: Why Some of the HDB Reasons to Ban Cats Don’t Make Sense
- Why People Are Talking About a Woodlands Void Deck That’s Been “Sealed Off”
- 34YO Woman & 3-Week-Old Infant Found Dead at Foot of Ghim Moh HDB Flat; Second Such Incident in a Month
- Popular Tian Tian Lai Nasi Lemak Has Closed Down After 22 Years
- 10 Places to Experience Snow This Christmas in Singapore
- Police Investigating “Man in Woman’s Dress” Who Force Opens MRT Train Door & Lies At Station
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat