On Monday (27 June), the police issued a public statement, stating that a man has been arrested for allegedly forging PayNow screenshots and swindling a money changer into exchanging foreign currency exceeding more than $13,000 with him.
Apparently, the police received a report from a money changer on 23 June, who said that he had been defrauded by a 29-year-old man twice between 21 and 22 June, and that the culprit had made away with more than $13,000 in foreign currency.
It is suspected that the man used fake PayNow transfer images to trick his victim into believing that he had already transferred the money into the money exchanger’s business bank account.
It was not until the next day where the victim realised that he hadn’t received any money from the man.
Ah, you have to love the new banking rules where you will always receive notifications for transactions, regardless of the amount.
Arrested Within Three Hours
After the Jurong Police Station launched an investigation, they managed to determine the identity of the culprit.
Within three hours of receiving the report, the man was arrested, and roughly $1,500 worth in foreign exchange value was recovered.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
The police are still investigating.
Once the man has been found guilty of fraud, he may face a jail sentence of up to 10 years and a fine.
The police expressed that they are strictly against fraudulent behaviour, and will deal with conmen in accordance with the law.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/
Members of the public can call the police at 1800-255-0000 or provide tips on scams to the local authorities online.
For more information on fraud prevention, you can either check out the scam alert website or call the hotline 1800-722-6688.
- Lawrence Wong Confirms There’s No Need for New COVID-19 Rules Now But That Cannot Be Ruled Out
- 71YO Taxi Driver Died from Heart Attack in His Taxi at North Bridge Road
- Police Officer Jailed for Stalking & Harassing Teen Whom He Was Investigating
- Man Caught on CCTV Stealing a Durian in Broad Daylight at Jurong East
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee