AN NSF lost his life on active duty fighting a fire.
And he was only 19 years old.
Here’s how it happened.
A Blaze at Henderson Road
On Thursday (8 Dec), the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to a fire at Block 91 Henderson Road at about 11:10 am.
The next thing they knew, a 19-year-old NSF firefighter fell unconscious while putting out the fire.
CPR was attempted on the 19-year-old before sending him to the Singapore General Hospital.
He died at the hospital.
The SCDF shared that a fire was raging from a unit on the fourth floor when they arrived at the scene. They had to make their way through the smoke-filled corridor and forcibly enter the unit to extinguish the fire.
In the process, the 19-year-old NSF fell unconscious in the unit’s kitchen area.
Investigations are currently ongoing.
Household Apologises to Family of NSF
The household living in the unit, which was ablaze, has since apologised to the family of the NSF firefighter.
There were three people in the unit when the fire broke out—Mr Muhammad Azri Ramlan, his wife Sri Ayshah Putri Jamari and her 13-year-old sister.
“On behalf of my family, I would like to say sorry to his family for their loss,” said Mr Azri.
Mr Azri, 21, is currently on medical leave from national service due to a fever from his booster jab.
Sympathising with the deceased, Mr Azri adds that he is also an NSF and is currently waiting for his national service posting.
Smoke and Thick Fumes
Other than the three people in the two-room rental flat when the unit suddenly lit ablaze, four others lived in the same unit.
The four others who were fortunately not in the unit when the fire broke out included the couple’s seven-month-old baby, Ms Ayshah’s 16-year-old brother, and her parents.
Ms Ayshah’s parents were out at work while the couple’s seven-month-old baby was at an infant care centre.
Indeed, a close call.
The couple was sleeping in their bedroom when the pungent smell of smoke woke them up.
Upon waking up, they saw their bedroom quickly engulfed by flames. Mr Azri grabbed his spouse and her 13-year-old sister and made a break for the front gate.
However, once they reached the front gate, the trio realised that none of them had a key. Mr Azri ran back into their bedroom to retrieve his key before the three finally managed to run out of their unit.
They then alerted their neighbours about the fire and contacted the police.
Only Managed to Take Baby’s Pram
Mr Azri’s family has since been moved into another flat on the 10th floor of the same block.
On Friday (9 Dec), they returned to their charred home to retrieve whatever items they could.
Unfortunately, the family only managed to retrieve their baby’s pram, with their remaining items, including their essential documents, lost to the blaze.
Clean-up and repair works, including wiring and clearing of burnt debris, are currently ongoing.
Community and grassroots volunteers are also working to support the affected parties.
When news of the NSF’s death broke out, an online uproar was quickly triggered.
While expressing their condolences for the deceased, many netizens demanded an inquiry into the case and how such incidents could be prevented in the future.
Other netizens also shared their experiences when they were part of the SCDF, shedding light on the true nature of the mentally taxing work done by those in the force.
Many Singaporeans also spoke up to show their appreciation for the NSFs, especially those from the SCDF and SPF.
- Man Forces His Intellectually Disabled Daughter to Perform Sex Acts on Him as ‘Apology’
- A Woman Has to Remove Her Eyeballs As Her 3,000-Degree Myopia Caused a Serious Complication
- NSF Firefighter Who Fell Unconscious While Fighting Fire Has Died
- Unmarried Couples Who Visit Bali Won’t Need to Worry About New Law That Bans Premarital Sex
- The Top S’pore Saga in 2022, According to Google, is the Omega X Swatch Saga
Featured Image: Lianhe Zaobao + Facebook (Shin Min Daily News 新明日报)
- Everything About Perplexity AI, The ChatGPT-Like Search Engine That’s a Real Threat to Google
- 10 Facts About Drain Flies, The Small Flies That Are Always in Your Toilet & Bathroom
- Why People Are Making Friendship Bracelets Ahead of Taylor Swift’s Concert
- Everything About the South Korea Doctors’ Protest So Far
- What Chan Chun Sing Said About Having Israel-Hamas Conflict Contents in MOE CCE Materials
- 2024 Has a 29 Feb. Here’s What a Leap Year is & Why It’s Needed
- Everything About Swiftonomics, Whereby Taylor Swift’s Presence Can Impact Local Economics
- “Haunted” ChatGPT Spat Out Gibberish & Nonsensical Responses for Hours This Week
- 5 Facts About The Legality of Sky Lanterns in Singapore