The first Starbucks store in Singapore opened on 14 December 1996 at Liat Towers along Orchard Road.
That means that Starbucks is turning 24 on 14 December, just like my dog, my brother and my magic hamster.
Happy birthday Starbucks, Fido, Bob and Scabbers!
Aside from my crowd of soon-to-be 24-year-olds, the best part about companies or establishments celebrating their birthday (read: anniversary) is they feel generous.
You don’t give them presents; they give presents to you.
From 14 December, customers can redeem this limited-edition glass at 12 specific stores (which we will talk about later).
To redeem the glass, you’d need to
- Upload a photograph of yourself at Starbucks Singapore on Instagram, with the tags @starbuckssg or #starbuckssg
- Go to one of the 12 stores
- Order a Venti-sized drink and show the barista your post
T&C: Limited to 1 glass per drink purchase from 14 Dec, while stocks last. Available for in-store purchase at the selected 12 stores only. Not valid with any other promotions or privileges.
Now for the important part:
According to Starbucks, these outlets were picked because they represent a story of Starbucks in Singapore, like a slice of “culture, heritage or innovation in design”.
For instance, Jewel is on the list because it has nice, locally-inspired deco, and Katong Square’s store is in a heritage building.
PLQ’s store is inspired by Paya Lebar as an air base, One Fullerton’s outlet has a view of Singapore’s skyline, VivoCity has ocean themes, River Safari’s store is in River Safari…
This list goes on; each description is rich and, with accompanying pictures, shows the thought processes that go behind each outlet.
Obviously, I’m not doing it any justice so you can just check it out for yourself here.
All of these spots are quite special, so they may be worth a visit and a few million Instagram pictures even if you’re not interested in the 24th Anniversary glass.
Either way –
- Jewel – #02-204, 78 Airport Blvd Jewel Changi Airport, Singapore 819666
- Katong Square – 86 East Coast Road #01-02 Conservation Building, Katong Square, Singapore 428788
- Paya Lebar Quarter – 10 Paya Lebar Road, #01-14, Paya Lebar Quarter, Singapore 409057
- Tampines Mall – 4 Tampines Central 5 #01-50, Tampines Mall, Singapore 529510
- Liat Towers – 541 Orchard Road #01-01A, Liat Towers, Singapore 238881
- One Fullerton – 1 Fullterton Road #01-04, One Fullerton, Singapore 049213
- Rochester Mall – 37 Rochester Drive, Singapore 138640
- VivoCity – 1 Harbourfront Walk #01-43, VivoCity, Singapore 098585
- Chinatown Point – 133 New Bridge Road #01-08, Chinatown Point, Singapore 059413
- Tekka Place – 2 Serangoon Road #01-06/07/08/09, Tekka Place, Singapore 218227
- River Safari – 80 Mandai Lake Road, River Safari, Singapore 729826
- United Square – 101 Thomson Road #01-01, United Square, Singapore 307591
Just remember to go in groups of fewer than five people!
Featured Image: Starbucks Singapore