Are you willing to pay 20 cents for extra sugar syrup in your tau huay?
Well, it appears that a lot of people aren’t. One particular woman even turned around and left after being told to pay an additional 20 cents for extra sugar syrup.
Here’s what happened.
20 Cents For Extra Sugar Syrup in Beancurd
According to Shin Min Daily News, a woman known as Ms Xu was apparently asked to pay an additional 20 cents at a beancurd stall in Geylang when she asked for extra sugar syrup in her tau huay.
The staff at the beancurd stall reportedly said that in the past, customers were not charged extra for adding sugar syrup to their tau huay. However, additional charges are now being imposed due to the recent rise in sugar prices.
Ms Xu adds that she must also pay an additional 20 cents should she wish to take away her tau huay order.
Appalled at the additional charges for her tau huay, Ms Xu walked away from the stall.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
Well, it’s not our place to say anything, but walking away wholly seems like an overreaction.
Additional Charges To Apply Due to Increase in Cost of Ingredients
With inflation on our tail, it’s only normal that the cost of food ingredients is rising.
That’s the exact situation this tau huay stall was in. Due to the rising ingredients costs, this beancurd stall began to impose additional charges on customers for any additions to their beancurd orders.
The stall even put up a notice detailing the adjusted prices.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or follow us on Twitter : https://twitter.com/goodyfeed
While one serving of tau huay is priced at $1.50, customers now have to pay an additional 20 cents if they want to add extra sugar syrup, bringing the final price to $1.70.
Prior to this, additional sugar syrup used to be free. And we all know how much Singaporeans love our free things.
However, staff at the beancurd stall share that most customers, being health-conscious, rarely ask for additional sugar syrup anyway, given that the regular beancurd order already comes with some sugar syrup.
I guess the Health Promotion Board (HPB) is just doing its job too well.
If customers request for the sugar syrup and bean curd to be packed separately, an additional 20 cents will also be charged for the other plastic container used.
What Do Netizens Think?
While the price difference is a mere 20 cents, many netizens are still outraged by the price adjustment.
A netizen even commented that the staff at the beancurd stall are “very bad people”, while others remarked that they would no longer patronise this beancurd stall.
Several other netizens also sarcastically questioned whether they would get a 20 cents discount if they asked for no sugar syrup.
Only a minority defended the beancurd stall.
One netizen criticised those complaining about the 20 cents surcharge, saying, “People complain about 20cents for extra yet they don’t mind paying exorbitant price for bubble tea.”
Who would have thought that a delicacy like beancurd would ever become so divisive in Singapore? But then again, once money is involved, everything becomes divisive in Singapore.
- This Woman is Not Just a Medical Doctor But an NDU Diver
- Netflix Reportedly Disallowing People to Share Passwords from 2023
- Downstairs Neighbours’ Plants’ Roots Choked Drain Pipe in East Coast Flat
- Man Doubled His Weight from 130kg to 240kg After Losing Job During Circuit Breaker
- S’pore Man Lost Almost 13kg in a Month by Sticking to the Same Routine Daily
Featured Image: Shin Min Daily News
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee