Getai is a kind of experience that everyone should try once.
There are beautiful voices and people on stage, slightly old but good music, and a nice atmosphere to match.
After more than two years of social distancing, masks, and no public singing, the getai scene has finally been revived.
On Wednesday (3 Aug), a getai was organised at Bedok South Market and Food Centre, with many contemporary songstresses making their appearance.
The singing party, however, was crashed when an auntie stormed onto stage because she didn’t like the song selection.
The Bedok South getai was an absolute blast, according to the posts released by the industry, as it included singers like Iron Lung Songstress, Chameleon-Like Prince, and Famous Pearl, while Lin Peifen, better known as Duo Language Belter, acted as the host.
The three-hour show had approximately 300 people in the audience.
The show was going great until the songstress Fresh Red was about to sing her second number for the night.
All of a sudden, a middle-aged woman climbed up onto the stage and snatched the microphone away.
The auntie then shouts for the show to stop and the getai becomes awkward very quickly.
The sound control people are likely wondering if they should turn off the microphone or something at this point, because having an argument transmitted to all ends of the premise does not sound like a good time.
Thankfully, the host calls for the security immediately.
The pair manage to hustle the middle-aged woman off the stage and Lin reassures the crowd that it was just a “misunderstanding”.
Since the two are veteran songstresses, they turn the crowd’s attention away from the incident with an adlib.
Fresh Red jokes to Lin, saying that she thought that it was the emcee who was coming up on stage and teasingly blamed her.
Lin and Fresh Red proceed to kick off the latter’s second song for the night together.
Drinking and Crashing
After finishing her performance, Fresh Red told Chinese Press that this was the first time she had encountered something like this, despite all her years singing getai. Although Fresh Red didn’t know why the auntie was so angry, she could smell the alcohol on her.
Lin also echoed her opinion, stating that situations like these were rare, and incidents where an audience member tries to grab the microphone is even rarer.
Regardless, Lin felt that it was her duty to mediate the situation since she was the host.
When the getai organiser, surnamed Zhou, was interviewed, he confirmed that the auntie was intoxicated. Despite the hiccup, everything was resolved peacefully.
He didn’t make any additional comments regarding the incident, stating that he has witnessed all sorts of incidents after being in the industry for more than 30 years.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/
The Auntie’s Apology
Honestly, the auntie wasn’t that bad, since she acknowledged her mistake and apologised.
Apparently, she hadn’t understood some of the songs that were being performed, so she asked the organiser for some Hokkien titles instead.
Her request was turned down.
Hence, she decided to take matters into her own hands and go up on stage to look for the person in charge, or in the case, the singer.
In retrospect, she said she realised that her actions were “inappropriate” and “somewhat impulsive”.
She has extended her apologies to the organiser.
- 24 Death Row Inmates Who Tried to Sue the Government Had Their Case Thrown Out By Apex Court
- Woman Bitten by Sandflies While Dining at Sengkang Outdoor Food Court
- Chinese Netizen Called Out Foreign Celebrities Like JJ Lin or Jay Chou for Not Supporting ‘One China’ Policy
- Here’s Everything That Has Happened So Far After Nancy Pelosi Concluded Her Visit to Taiwan
Featured Image: Facebook (Shin Min Daily News 新明日报)
- Now That The Budget 2024 Statement is Out, Here’s What to Expect in the Next Few Weeks
- S’pore Address Rumours That We Pay Millions So Taylor Swift Won’t Perform in Other Southeast Asia Countries for Her Tour
- Chinese Actress Came Back from Vacation to Her House Burglarised With All Valuables Gone
- Everything About the Changes in CPF That Were Mentioned During Budget 2024
- Aide Dismisses Claims That M’sia Ex-PM Mahathir is in Critical Condition
- You Can’t Take Chickens from The Road to Cook It; NParks Now Investigating Man Who Caught Wild Chicken at Pasir Ris
- ECDA Completed Assessment of Kinderland Saga; Licence Tenures Limit in 2 Centres to Continue