What seemed like a cheap private-hire vehicle ride turned out to be illegal for these Singaporeans in Penang on 28 January.
Here’s what happened.
Didn’t Know It Was An Illegal Ride
When he walked to the taxi stands with his wife, a driver asked him where he was going and whether he’d already hired a private hire car.
Upon hearing that the tourist did not book a ride yet, the illegal driver asked for RM40 to take them to their destination. Thinking that it was a legitimate private-hire vehicle, the tourist agreed.
However, they were stopped by the authorities and taken to the police station, where they were told that RM40 was way below the market price for their destination. It was then that they realised the car they boarded was operating illegally.
Penang Authorities Launched Operation to Catch Illegal Drivers
Penang’s land transport department shared on Facebook that they arrested various illegal drivers during an operation on 28 January. Six illegal private hire drivers were arrested, most of them near Penang International Airport.
This operation was launched because the department received complaints from airport taxi and private-hire drivers, who claimed that illegal drivers frequently came to the airport and preyed on travellers. They would offer prices lower than market prices to solicit customers, despite not having a proper private-hire driver’s licence.
They would also target tourists travelling in groups of three or four since many of them drove minivans that could carry more than four passengers.
These illegal drivers do not provide insurance protection for passengers and damage the business of licenced taxi and private-hire drivers.
If one is convicted of providing illegal rides, they can be fined up to RM50,000, imprisoned for up to five years, or both.
- Residents Calling Out People Who Burnt Sugarcane Directly on the Ground During 拜天宫
- Ceiling of Serangoon HDB Flat Looks Like a Cave Due to Kitchen’s Water Leakage
- Lai Heng Mushroom Minced Meat Noodle Not Selling Brand for $500K After 10 People Contacted Them
- Only 1 Winner Won the $7.2 Million TOTO on 30 Jan & The Huat Outlet is at Punggol
- Teen Caught on Camera Climbing into Dryer at a Whampoa Self-Service Laundry & Spoiling It
Featured Image: Facebook (Shin Min Daily News), Wikipedia
Fake IMH doctors flooding TikTok videos with comments are related to 4D. Here’s why:
- Partners in Cai Png Empire Chang Cheng Suing Each Other in Court
- SKH Responds After Patient Claims He Has to Order Painkillers from foodpanda As His Request From the Nurse Took Too Long
- Elderly Who’s Dining Alone Tells Daughter on Phone He’s With Friends, Then Cries Alone in Restaurant
- Man in S’pore Forced to Pay $2,000 Cancellation Fee After He Clicked on FB Ad Offering Loans
- Here’s Why Both PAP & WP Reject PSP’s Call to Suspend Iswaran as an MP & Remove His Allowance
- Everything About the Public Transport Price Hike That’ll Start from 23 December 2023