Jurong East HDB Fire That Killed 1 Yesterday Suddenly Was Burning Again Today (17 Aug)

A commonly used phrase is that “lightning never strikes the same place twice”—meaning that whatever bad thing has happened, won’t happen again—but that’s largely a myth.

For the unfortunate four-room flat on the ninth floor of Block 236 Jurong East Street 21, it caught fire again this morning (17 Aug), at around 5am.

The First Fire

At around 2:50am on Tuesday (16 Aug), the four-room flat located at Jurong East caught fire.

After the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) were alerted, they proceeded to extinguish the apartment with three water jets.

Despite the firefighters’ best efforts, the fire was only put out at 12 noon, and one resident in the affected unit perished in the blaze.

Three more people—two of whom were the neighbours of the affected flat—had to be rescued by the SCDF with breathing apparatus.

THE SCDF also dampened the whole flat afterwards, which is the process of spraying more water to wet burnt surfaces after the flames have been extinguished to ensure that the hot and burned surfaces won’t reignite.

According to Lianhe Zaobao’s report, the flat allegedly belongs to a pair of siblings, a 50-year-old sister and her 48-year-old brother.

After the older sister fled the burning unit, she realised that her younger brother was absent.

When the SCDF searched the burnt remains, they found a body inside, which was later pronounced dead by the paramedics.

Investigations are still ongoing.

Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/

The Second Fire

Alas, the fire rekindled once more at around 5am the morning after.

Lin Yani, a 70-year-old housewife who lives on the eighth floor, recounted that when her husband got up to go to the toilet at 5am, he noticed a reddish-orange glow reflected on the windowsill.

When he looked outside, he saw that the unit upstairs was on fire again.

Image: Shin Min Daily News (新明日报)

The whole house was heavily logged with smoke.

Her husband quickly woke up the family and their neighbours before all of them fled for their lives as quickly as possible.

Fortunately, the SCDF arrived in a timely manner to put out the fire.

When the reporters arrived at the scene at 7:20am, the fire was already snuffed out. The air was filled with a scorched smell, and there were several fire engines at the scene.

Image: Shin Min Daily News (新明日报)

Read Also:

Featured Image: Shin Min Daily News 新明日报