Mala Stall Allegedly Caught Fire As Staff Member Left Fire On While Attending to Customers


A mala xiangguo stall at Admiralty MRT station’s “China Street” caught fire, with the chef suffering multiple burns.

Employees speculated that the fire might have been accidentally left on, which led to the unattended kitchen catching fire.

Automatic Sprinkler System Activated

At 10am on 16 November, a fire occurred at 57˚C Mala Xiang Guo.

Image: Twitter (@xinsg2022)

The stall was located in China Street kopitiam, located near Admiralty MRT station.

Image: Google Maps

Witnesses said that the stall’s supervisor and the chef was wheeled out of the stall by paramedics, with bandages across his upper body, arms, and calves. He seemed to have been burned rather seriously.

Image: Shin Min Daily News

The China Street kopitiam was cordoned off, with the automatic sprinkler system activated to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived.

Witnesses also said that they saw at least three Singapore Civil Defence Force vehicles on site. The SCDF confirmed that they were alerted to the fire at about 10:45am, and that they conveyed one person to Singapore General Hospital.

The area was un-cordoned at about 12:30pm, and all the other stalls operated as usual. However, no dine-in option was offered for the rest of the day, and customers could only choose takeaway.

Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at or download the Goody Feed app here: 

Left Stove Unattended

The employees of the mala stall shared that there were three employees in the store when the accident happened.

However, only the supervisor was in the kitchen, and the other employees didn’t hear anything unusual until the supervisor emerged from the kitchen burnt.

Well, when we said we wanted our mala to be flaming hot, we certainly didn’t mean it in this way.

The kopitiam manager, Mr Lee, believed that the man might have forgotten to turn the stove off, and went to manage the cashier. When he returned to the kitchen, the fire might have already started, and he could have gotten splashed by the hot oil.

We wish the supervisor a speedy recovery!

Read Also:

Featured Image: Shin Min Daily News, Twitter