One man brought his wife and dog over from China, only to find out at the airport that Shopee has revoked his job offer.
Here’s what happened.
Story Went Viral on Weibo
A WeChat user created an account with the username “Lin Ge goes to Nanyang” in May 2022, hoping to share more about his life and tech job in Shopee Singapore.
However, his first post turned out to be about his unemployment and his negotiation for compensation. In the post published on 28 August, he shared that he just landed in Singapore with his wife and dog when Shopee revoked their offer.
His story went viral on Chinese social media platform Weibo, and their version of LinkedIn called Maimai. More users started sharing about how they’ve met with similar circumstances, with one user saying that their offer got cancelled “three days before officially joining Shopee”.
An estimated amount of 60 people have been affected, and support groups have been formed to help them negotiate compensation and job-hunt.
Shopee Confirms News
Shopee confirmed with South China Morning Post that they have indeed revoked some job offers.
“Due to adjustments to hiring plans on some tech teams, a number of roles at Shopee are no longer available. We are working closely to support those affected,” they said.
An insider source has revealed that they will be offering compensation of one month’s salary and travel expenses to those affected.
Major Tech Firms Also Cutting Costs
Shopee is owned by Tencent-backed Sea Limited, which has recently reported greater losses in the second quarter amidst a global economic slowdown. Their losses have doubled to US$931.2 million, prompting them to cut costs.
Other big tech firms in China have also been trimming their workforces. For instance, Tencent has let go of nearly 5,500 employees, the first time they’ve downsized since 2014. Smartphone brand Xiaomi has also reportedly cut about 3% of its workforce, equalling more than 900 jobs.
- McDonald’s Has Brought Back McPepper & Scrambled Egg Burger
- Confirmed: Rosmah Found Guilty of All Charges & Sentenced to 10 Years’ Jail
- M’sia Now Also Has Its Own ‘NDP Middle-Finger Boy’ in Yesterday’s M’sia NDP
- New Digital Bank by Standard Chartered & NTUC Has a ‘Numberless’ Credit Card
Featured Image: Emoji Dream / Shutterstock.com
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Woman Got Scammed from a Person She Knew from Coffee Meets Bagel
- Power Outage at JB Checkpoint Caused Long Queues on Wednesday Morning
- Everything About the December BTO Launches That Include 2 PLH Estates
- Around 50 People Found to be Lying in Their Work Pass Applications Every Year
- In 2024, We Might Be Able to See Northern Lights in Countries Like China, Japan and the US As Well
- Confirmed: S’poreans Do Not Need to Submit Digital Arrival Cards When Commuting to Malaysia