After revising the date of Vesak Day for 2023, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has announced that it will fall on 2 June instead of 3 June.
The original 3 June date for Vesak Day was determined in reference to the Standard Chinese-Western Multi-Year almanac.
It was revised after the Singapore Buddhist Federation verified the date against other Chinese almanacs following public feedback.
For the sake of following the Mahayana tradition, the date for Vesak Day 2023 was changed to 2 June, so that it will coincide with the 15th day of the Fourth Lunar Month.
For Buddhists, especially those who follow the Mahayana tradition, there are certain days of the month where they adopt vegetarianism as a rite of abstinence or purification.
This typically falls on the first and fifteenth day of the lunar month.
As such, Vesak Day 2023 will fall on a Friday instead of a Saturday.
In a statement on its website, the federation wrote, “We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and will in future conduct additional checks and verifications to prevent similar occurrences.”
Due to the revised date, there will be seven long weekends in 2023.
- Nanny Reportedly Takes Care of So Many Kids, She Gets Her FDW & Husband to Help
- Jackson Wang Holding a Solo Concert in Singapore on 23 December
- Hong Huifang Became the First Singaporean to be Nominated for Best Actress at Golden Horse Awards
- Anti-Scam App ScamShield Finally Available for Android User
- Everything You Need To Know About Russia’s Impending Annexation of Occupied Ukraine
Featured Image: joeni91 / Shutterstock.com
Here’s why a 4-day workweek might finally really be possible in Singapore soon:
- Grab Might Be Buying Over foodpanda’s Singapore Business
- Some People in Uncle Raymond’s Dating Show Are from a Special Needs School
- Partners in Cai Png Empire Chang Cheng Suing Each Other in Court
- SKH Responds After Patient Claims He Has to Order Painkillers from foodpanda As His Request From the Nurse Took Too Long
- Elderly Who’s Dining Alone Tells Daughter on Phone He’s With Friends, Then Cries Alone in Restaurant