In case you’re not fully caught up with what happened during the most recent Oscars—what’s with the suave and carefree Will Smith smacking the crap out of Chris Rock for an insensitive joke—you can watch the video below to learn more:
No Apologies Found Here
Despite the shocking assault that happened live, on broadcasted television, Will Smith proceeded to win the Award for Best Actor for his role as Richard Williams in King Richard (2021), the father of tennis prodigy twins Venus and Serena Williams.
Sure, Smith hinted towards the assault during his Oscar-winning speech, indirectly justifying his act of violence as his defensiveness for family rearing its head and how “love will make you do crazy things”.
Calm down there, Jamie Lannister.
He then apologised to his fellow nominees and the Academy, hoping that they would still invite him next year, but Chris Rock’s name, his victim, was noticeably absent from his speech.
Smith paid dearly for his omission later as social media picked up its figurative pitchforks and torches, leading to Smith’s eventual apology on social media on Monday (28 Mar).
He stated that his behaviour was “unacceptable” and he had reacted “emotionally” to a joke that was made at the expense of his wife’s medical condition.
Jada Pinkett-Smith Finally Responds
In an Instagram post on Tuesday (29 Mar), Jada Pinkett-Smith finally broke her silence.
It was a simple image with the line: “This is the season for healing. And I’m here for it.”
View this post on Instagram
Whether the quote is alluding to her own autoimmune disease that caused her hair loss and the struggles she faced because of it, or a subtle way to say “forgive and forget” that act of violence, it could go both ways.
Still Not Out of The Red
Chris Rock might have chosen not to report Will Smith to the Los Angeles Police Department and took the hit with an unwavering smile on his face, but the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences isn’t as forgiving.
The 9,900-member strong committee has condemned Smith’s actions and are reviewing this matter.
If the group decides that Smith has violated the standards of conduct, members have the ability to expel the actor from the organisation, revoke the only Oscar he has received in his long career, or prohibit him from attaining future awards.
- Man Does Detailed Slow Maths to Conclude That the Rolls-Royce Can Pass Through With a 30cm Extra Space
- Cyclist Allegedly Slapped Hearing-Impaired Woman at Sengkang ‘Coz She Didn’t Give Way
- Russia Restricting Entry for People from ‘Unfriendly Countries’, Including S’pore
- Everything About the Space Cooperation with the US Summarised for You
Featured Image: Instagram (@jadapinkettsmith)
Here’s why a 4-day workweek might finally really be possible in Singapore soon:
- Grab Might Be Buying Over foodpanda’s Singapore Business
- Some People in Uncle Raymond’s Dating Show Are from a Special Needs School
- Partners in Cai Png Empire Chang Cheng Suing Each Other in Court
- SKH Responds After Patient Claims He Has to Order Painkillers from foodpanda As His Request From the Nurse Took Too Long
- Elderly Who’s Dining Alone Tells Daughter on Phone He’s With Friends, Then Cries Alone in Restaurant