On Friday (27 May), a 49-year-old worker passed away after being trapped under a large metal cylindrical pipe between a trailer and a lorry.
According to The Straits Times, the worker was freed by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where he died the same day said Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
Accident Happened at Defu Lane
The worker was working at 18 Defu Lane Avenue 2, under the employment of Good Year Contractor. The building where the accident happened is occupied by Lik King Contractor.
Good Year Contractor has since been instructed to stop all its lifting operations as MOM investigates the accident.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/
The ministry said a lorry crane toppled on its side while it was lifting and unloading large metal cylindrical pipes. These pipes were known as propeller shafts.
Propeller Shaft Rolled Off
As the lorry crane toppled on its side, one of the propeller shaft that was transported rolled off.
The propeller shaft struck the worker who was coordinating the lifting operation and pinned his leg to the ground.
After, the SCDF was activated on the same day at 1:05pm.
Firefighters and paramedics from Paya Lebar Fire Station conducted an assessment on the trapped man and worked to stabilise the worker’s condition.
The SCDF team proceeded to use two air lifting bags to lift the propeller shaft and free the victim’s leg.
According to the SCDF, an air lift bag is a thin and lightweight piece of rescue equipment that can be used in confined spaces that expands and enables rescuers to lift, spread, or create space between two objects.
After being freed, the victim was convened to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
Increase in Workplace Fatalities in 2022
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had come forward to express the recent spate of workplace fatalities were unacceptable.
In the last month alone, ten workplace fatalities were reported which brings the total number of workplace fatalities so far this year to 20—the highest number of fatalities reported for the same period in 2016.
Incidents include a woman who fell seven floors in the office building CapitaSpring after she stepped on a false ceiling panel.
MOM, Workplace Safety and Health Council (WSHC), National Trades Union Congress (NTUC), and industry partners have also called for a time-out.
A time-out means firms will have to stop all work and use the time to review risk assessments and familiarise their workers with safety procedures.
- NTUC FairPrice Offering 10% Discount on 4 Popular Cooking Oils Until 1 June 2022
- Health Minister: Monkeypox Might Eventually Reach S’pore But Unlikely to be a Pandemic
- HDB Launched 4,583 New BTO Flats With Projects in Bukit Merah & Queenstown Under PLH
- Man on Death Row Acquitted After Court of Appeal Found It to be a Case of Mistaken Delivery
- Woman Proudly Showed Off her ‘Rules’ for FDW But It Backfired Online Instead
Featured Image: Facebook (Singapore Civil Defence Force)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Woman Got Scammed from a Person She Knew from Coffee Meets Bagel
- Power Outage at JB Checkpoint Caused Long Queues on Wednesday Morning
- Everything About the December BTO Launches That Include 2 PLH Estates
- Around 50 People Found to be Lying in Their Work Pass Applications Every Year
- In 2024, We Might Be Able to See Northern Lights in Countries Like China, Japan and the US As Well
- Confirmed: S’poreans Do Not Need to Submit Digital Arrival Cards When Commuting to Malaysia