Bike-sharing services such as Ofo, Gbikes and SG Bike are the “in” thing now, and it is definitely a great concept.
From reducing your carbon footprint to helping you keep fit, I can see why it is so popular.
But the government started realising a pressing issue—people started to park the bikes haphazardously or dumping them at odd places.
Remember the couple who threw the oBikes in the canal?
So to mitigate the situation, the government added more than 4,000 yellow bicycle parking boxes last year.
Bike-sharing operators also started using geo-fencing technology to curb the problem since they are required by LTA to remove bicycles that are indiscriminately-parked within half a day.
Well, not really, I still see bikes at godforsaken places…
So, now, one of the bike-sharing operators, SG Bike will be pairing up with telco company, M1, to use their specific network, NB-loT.
In the joint press release, they mentioned that the network will enhance SG Bike’s current geostation technology as they will be able to monitor the bikes real-time.
Unlike geo-fencing which uses GPS coordinates, geostation technology uses Radio-frequency identification (RFID) which provides greater accuracy.
This technology will also benefit the users, providing them with an accurate data of bicycle location and availability
Chief Executive Officer of SG Bike, Mr Albert Teng mentioned that SG Bike has currently over 1,300 geostations installed nationwide!
So let’s hope that this will ensure people will park these shared bikes properly and hopefully other bike-sharing operators will jump on the bandwagon.
Since you’re here, why not watch a video about a guy who lodged a Police report here in Singapore because he was friendzoned? Seriously. Here, watch it and do remember to share it (and also subscribe to Goody Feed YouTube channel)!
This article was first published on goodyfeed.com
- In a Week, 62 Bike-Sharing Bicycles Were Impounded for Obstructing Foot Paths
- There’s a Group That’s Going All Over S’pore to Re-arrange Bike-sharing Bicycles
- Everything about oBike’s Data Breach You Should Know
Do you love writing? Do you want a platform to showcase your works? Goody Feed is looking for part-time writers to join the team! Click here to find out more!
Featured image: SG Bike Facebook
- Now That The Budget 2024 Statement is Out, Here’s What to Expect in the Next Few Weeks
- S’pore Address Rumours That We Pay Millions So Taylor Swift Won’t Perform in Other Southeast Asia Countries for Her Tour
- Chinese Actress Came Back from Vacation to Her House Burglarised With All Valuables Gone
- Everything About the Changes in CPF That Were Mentioned During Budget 2024
- Aide Dismisses Claims That M’sia Ex-PM Mahathir is in Critical Condition
- You Can’t Take Chickens from The Road to Cook It; NParks Now Investigating Man Who Caught Wild Chicken at Pasir Ris
- ECDA Completed Assessment of Kinderland Saga; Licence Tenures Limit in 2 Centres to Continue