A Power Bank Led to a Fire in an MRT Train Near Somerset MRT Station

Travelling on the MRT has been quite an eventful experience lately, from being packed like sardines to strange gas coming out of the vents.

But that’s not all.

The latest addition to the list?

A fire caused by a power bank.

Power Bank Caught Fire

On Tuesday (24 May), a power bank caught fire in an MRT train and commuters had to disembark at Somerset station as a precaution.

A power bank?

Yes, you might have only heard of the Samsung Galaxy 7 that had a history of exploding.

Well, newsflash: the handy portable charger you carry around is also a fire hazard.

Unfortunately, if you want to know what the brand of the power bank was, there were no details on that.

Commuter Put Out Fire

A video posted on Facebook shows commuters exiting the train, some covering their mouths, with smoke billowing around them.

The incident took place at around 12.10pm on a north-bound train along the North-South Line, said SMRT in a statement on Wednesday.

Fortunately, the fire did not spread much as a commuter quickly helped to put it out.

“Our staff were on site to assist. As a safety precaution, all commuters disembarked at Somerset station,” said SMRT Trains president Lam Sheau Kai.

There were no reports of commuters needing medical aid.

The affected train was withdrawn to the depot for further checks.

SMRT also said it will help the Public Transport Security Command with investigations.

Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/

Another Case of Smoke in MRT

Just a few days earlier, a strange white gas was seen billowing out of the vents in an MRT train travelling on the east-west line.

The train which was at Kembangan MRT station, saw all commuters being evacuated.

Turns out, the incident was caused by an air-conditioning compressor leaking Freon gas. The gas is stable, non-flammable and low in toxicity.

Read Also:

Featured Image: Facebook (Singapore Atrium Sale)