After locking himself and his elderly mother in their home, a man was arrested by the police on Tuesday (27 December) night.
The police had tried negotiating with him to open the door to their house for four hours before deciding to arrest him out of fear that he would hurt his mother, who is in her seventies.
Later, it was revealed that the man had apparently been involved in drug abuse.
Here’s what happened.
The incident, which took place at around 8 pm at a ninth-storey unit at 90 Redhill Close,
A resident named Ms Hong (Hanyu pinyin) told Shin Min Daily News that she learned of the incident after her grandmother called to tell her that there was a large group of police officers near her house and that she was scared.
Ms Hong then rushed to her grandmother’s house and said she also saw many police officers along the corridor. According to her, the atmosphere was extremely tense, and the operation ended at around 2 am the next day.
Another resident named Mr Chen (Hanyu pinyin) revealed that he discovered something had happened at around 10 pm after realising that there were multiple police cars and fire engines below his block.
He also saw personnel from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) set up an inflatable safety life air pack at the foot of his block.
Apart from that, Mr Chen also shared that the man in the affected unit often yelled loudly in the middle of the night or early in the morning in recent times.
Other residents said that the man’s older sister called the police after being unable to contact their mother.
Police Update: No One Was Hurt, Man Arrested Due to Involvement in Drugs
After the incident, the police confirmed they received a call for assistance at 8.30 pm that night.
Officers then found out that a 47-year-old man had locked himself and his 78-year-old mother inside their flat after reaching the scene and tried to convince him to open the house door but to no avail.
After assessing that the man might be of harm to both him and his mother, the Crisis Negotiation Unit was deployed. Personnel from both the Special Operation Command (SOC) and SCDF were dispatched to the scene to aid in the operation.
At 12.30 am on Wednesday (28 December), officers finally broke into the house. No one was hurt in the process.
Afterwards, the man was arrested under the Mental Health Act for drug-related offences.
Investigations are currently ongoing.
- Sharon Au Took MRT for the First Time in 27 Years & Was Impressed With It
- Everything About the COVID-19 Awards That Will Be Given to Over 100K People in S’pore
- 65YO Man Arrested Over Attempted Murder of 37YO Man in Marsiling
- Woman Claimed Clementi Community Cat Attacked Her Without Provocation
- Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Has Super Cute & IG-Worthy Bunnies
Featured Image: Shin Min Daily News
- Now That The Budget 2024 Statement is Out, Here’s What to Expect in the Next Few Weeks
- S’pore Address Rumours That We Pay Millions So Taylor Swift Won’t Perform in Other Southeast Asia Countries for Her Tour
- Chinese Actress Came Back from Vacation to Her House Burglarised With All Valuables Gone
- Everything About the Changes in CPF That Were Mentioned During Budget 2024
- Aide Dismisses Claims That M’sia Ex-PM Mahathir is in Critical Condition
- You Can’t Take Chickens from The Road to Cook It; NParks Now Investigating Man Who Caught Wild Chicken at Pasir Ris
- ECDA Completed Assessment of Kinderland Saga; Licence Tenures Limit in 2 Centres to Continue