Lest you’ve forgotten, here’s a refresher: bike-sharing, an initiative towards a car-lite Singapore, only took off early this year.
And in the short six months it has been in Singapore, the bikes have been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Like people abusing the bikes.
And in recent weeks, people upping the game by tossing these poor, innocuous bikes down from high-rise building.
Yesterday, it’s reported that for the first time, someone is charged for committing a rash act that endangered human life with an ofo bike.
And interestingly, he’s also charged for abusing the bike.
On 22 June 2017, a 47-year-old butcher, Selamat Mohamed Ali, went back to his flat at 5:00 a.m., but instead of going back home, he went to level 15 to rest at the lift landing, presumably still drunk from his drinking session.
There were two ofo bikes there, left behind by an ofo employee. The employee’s job was to retrieve these bikes all over Singapore, and he had parked them there temporarily as there was no transport to move the bikes away that day.
As Ali rested, he somehow managed to overhear some bad news: his uncle wanted to sell the flat he stayed in. He then started to worry on where he could stay.
For reasons only known to Ali, he grabbed one of the bikes and tossed it down.
Then he went back to sleep. When the police found him, he was, well, still sleeping.
Selamat Mohamed Ali was sentenced to nine weeks’ jail. Guess he won’t have to worry where to stay now.
Th bicycle had landed 5m away from a couple who were on the ground sorting newspaper. Now, imagine how short 5m is, and imagine a bicycle landing just 5m away from you.
To people who still think that abusing a defenseless bike is cool: inflate your ego or deal with your insecurities elsewhere. The authorities and bike-sharing firms aren’t going to “pang chance” anymore, man.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
This article was first published on goodyfeed.com
- Another Arrest for Throwing Ofo Bike, This Time into a Canal Because Monkey See Monkey Do
- Ofo Buay Tahan Liao, Plans New Features That’ll Prevent Misuse Of Their Bikes
- Everything About Perplexity AI, The ChatGPT-Like Search Engine That’s a Real Threat to Google
- 10 Facts About Drain Flies, The Small Flies That Are Always in Your Toilet & Bathroom
- Why People Are Making Friendship Bracelets Ahead of Taylor Swift’s Concert
- Everything About the South Korea Doctors’ Protest So Far
- What Chan Chun Sing Said About Having Israel-Hamas Conflict Contents in MOE CCE Materials
- 2024 Has a 29 Feb. Here’s What a Leap Year is & Why It’s Needed
- Everything About Swiftonomics, Whereby Taylor Swift’s Presence Can Impact Local Economics
- “Haunted” ChatGPT Spat Out Gibberish & Nonsensical Responses for Hours This Week
- 5 Facts About The Legality of Sky Lanterns in Singapore