We’ve all heard the “is Singapore in Malaysia?” question at least once in our lives.
And while we were indeed part of Malaysia many many years ago, one would think that 57 years would be enough to make people remember that we’re separate countries.
Netizens Roasted National Geographic UK for Saying S’pore is Part of M’sia
Two days ago, National Geographic UK posted this on their Facebook Page:
In the post, the Facebook Page wrote, “From the Archive: A family from India walks through the Gardens by the Bay in Singapore, Malaysia,” with an image of Gardens by the Bay.
For the uninitiated, due to the large size of a country, the usual accepted style to list a region in a country is Region, Country.
For example, to list Johor, we would use Johor, Malaysia.
So for National Geographic to write “Singapore, Malaysia” clearly shows that it’s very wrong.
Went Viral Despite Redirection
You won’t be able to find the post if you head to their page, because when you click on “National Geographic UK”, you’d automatically be redirected to “National Geographic Asia”, which has different contents altogether.
This is due to regional settings, which will direct us to the correct regional site to improve the geo-targeting of posts.
However, the exact URL spread amongst Singaporeans and Malaysians like wildfire, allowing us to access the post.
The post went viral in Singapore and Malaysia, especially since National Geographic is a trusted media outlet that isn’t expected to make mistakes like that.
Taken Down Without Apology
The National Geographic UK Facebook page took down their post about two days after it was first posted. They didn’t acknowledge their error, nor did they apologise for their mistake.
Due to the redirection mentioned earlier, it’s impossible for us to view the Facebook Page unless we access it with a UK IP, or use a special code in the URL (which we did to fact-check this article).
Nevertheless, it was nice seeing Singaporeans and Malaysians working together instead of arguing on the internet.
Hopefully, we won’t see a Singapore, China anytime in the future.
- Restaurant That Has 100% Rude Servers Scolding You Coming to S’pore
- Poll Shows Almost 50% of People in S’pore Will Still Wear Masks in Malls All the Time
- MOM Announces Changes to Work Pass System, Including 1 New Work Pass for High-Income Foreigners
- GetGo Car Nearly Plunged from 5th Storey of HDB Multi-Storey Car Park
- The Bus Resort is a Resort That’s Made From Decommissioned SBS Buses & It Will Open Next Year
- Karen’s Diner, a Restaurant That Has 100% Rude Servers Scolding You, Coming to Singapore
Featured Image: Facebook (National Geographic UK)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat
- Massive Discounts at Four Star’s Year-End Sale: Everything at 50% Off & More from 6 Dec to 10 Dec
- Everything About the Smith Street Revamp, Whereby a Tenant Will Take Over Many Shops
- DBS Said Short Outage on 1 Dec Was Due to Many People Logging in to Check Their Balance
- Man Without Licence Drove GetGo Car at 123kmh By Using His Friend’s Account
- A Doctor Claims Blow-Drying Might Have Indirectly Caused Queenzy Cheng’s Death