In recent Korean dramas like Law School, Juvenile Justice and Extraordinary Attorney Woo, we have seen how interesting lawsuits can be.
Imagine Singapore’s version of a Korean law drama. What cases could there possibly be?
Well, this one-day trial.
Man Who Sued PUB for $578K Suddenly Accepted PUB’s Prior Settlement Offer & Ended Trial Before It Began
Mr Maung Maung Aung Soe Thu, 42, sued PUB on 16 January 2022 after his bicycle got caught in a 3cm gap of a drain grating along Changi Point Coastal Walk.
Mr Maung Maung was with his friend that day and said that there were dried leaves obstructing his view of the gap.
He fell off his bike and suffered head and spine injuries, as well as facial fractures. He then sought damages of at least $578,000.
Mr Maung Maung claimed that PUB owed him the duty of care and breached it by not ensuring that the drain gratings were safe.
PUB then denied that they were negligent and argued that they did not owe him such a duty of care.
The trial was scheduled for three days from 7 September.
But it ended in half a day.
How The Hearing Started…And Ended Before It Started
PUB’s witness, the chief engineer of drainage operations, was supposed to take the stand on 7 September to give evidence on the design and structure of drain gratings during the hearing.
However, on the morning, lawyers for both parties suddenly said that they have resolved the matter.
Apparently, Mr Maung Maung had accepted PUB’s settlement offer that was made before the trial.
PUB released a statement, saying that following “the commencement of the trial, and before PUB’s witness could give evidence, the plaintiff decided to accept an earlier offer from the defendant, the terms of which are confidential.”
This means the settlement amount was apparently the same one that PUB had previously offered, and for some reason, Mr Maung Maung only accepted before the trial.
Therefore, Mr Maung Maung had to file a notice of discontinuance within eight weeks to formally end the lawsuit.
However, the terms are confidential and PUB did not admit it was due to their negligence.
- Floors of Causeway Point Have Reportedly Been Wet for 4 Times in 3 Weeks
- Malaysia PM Slammed for Wearing $1.6K Shoes During Meeting With DPM Lawrence Wong
- Mooncake Salesman Offered to Carry Mooncake to Car in Next Building, Not Knowing That The Customer is an Actress
- Everything About iPhone 14 That Has Just Been Announced by Apple
- 70% of Stalls in Yishun Coffeeshop Left Due to Increase in Rental & Shortage of Manpower
Featured Image: Facebook (ROADS.sg) & MIND AND I / shutterstock.com
Your parents are wrong: MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) is good for you (sort of). Here’s the truth:
- Study Shows S’pore Residents Are Eating More Calories, From 2,360Kcal to 2,410Kcal
- Everything About the Additional S$1.1 Billion Support Package & What You’d Receive
- Bukit Panjang Has Just Joined the Million-Dollar HDB Resale Club
- 4 Foreigners Charged for Working as Food Delivery Riders Illegally
- Everything About the Harvest Moon in Singapore on 29 Sept, The Last Supermoon in 2023